Saturday, July 27, 2013

You may be Awkward, but I love you regardless

Book:  Awkward
Author:  Marni Bates
Publisher:  K-Teen
Date:  Available now
Source:  Purchased
My grade:  A

Mackenzie Wellesley has spent her life avoiding the spotlight. At Smith High, she's the awkward junior people only notice when they need help with homework. Until she sends a burly football player flying with her massive backpack and makes a disastrous - not to mention unwelcome - attempt at CPR. Before the day is out, the whole fiasco explodes on YouTube. And then the strangest thing happens. Suddenly, Mackenzie is an Internet sensation, with four million hits and counting. Sucked into a whirlwind of rock stars, paparazzi, and free designer clothes, she even catches the eye of the most popular guy at school. And that's when life gets really interesting...

Initial Reaction
Squeeeee!!!!  That was too cute!

Cover Story
This cover is as cute as the book inside.  I love the font they used for the title and the way the whole thing looks like a lot of doodling in a notebook.  I think this is a great cover for this type of book.  Of course, I was also glad I was reading it on my Nook because I would NOT have read this one out in public otherwise.  But that’s because I’m a 43 year old mother of 2.  If I were 15, it would have rocked.

What’s the Story?
So, this is the typical nerdy girl becomes popular sort of story….with a twist.  A great big internet YouTube twist.  I think that’s part of what made this book so much fun.  It was great to see how Marni Bates used YouTube to create a new twist for an old formula.

This is funny chick-lit at its best.  In the tradition of Bridget Jones’ Diary and Confessions of a Shop-a-holic, this novel was laugh out loud funny.  There were tons of ridiculous situations and a wonderful, likeable main character who was completely relatable.


I loved the outlandish rom-com feel that this novel had.  Yes, most of the situations were completely ridiculous, but it was so funny and told in such a fresh, fun voice that I didn’t really care.  In fact, I couldn’t wait to see what sort of disaster Mackenzie was going to fall into next.

The characters were wonderful.  In the same way that my adult self could relate to and sympathize with poor Bridget Jones and her bathroom scale, my teen self could relate to and sympathize with Mackenzie and her geeky friends and their attempts to navigate the rough waters known as high school.  I loved the way Mackenzie and all her friends referred to the popular kids as the Notables!  It was great to see a group of kids who were so well-adjusted while being geeky and socially awkward.  Those things don’t normally seem to go together, but in this novel, they worked.

This book was a scream!  I laughed, I cringed and I cheered.  Even though it seems improbable, who knows?  With YouTube, maybe this could happen.  And I think that’s one of the things that kept this novel grounded.  I mean, if people could walk around for months singing some terrible song about Fridays, why couldn’t this one happen too?  If you’re looking for a fun read that will leave you feeling great when you close the book, Awkward definitely fits that bill.

The Soundtrack

The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson


Crucify by Tori Amos


The Middle by Jimmy Eats World


Suspension by Mae


Fruit Tree by Nick Drake


Doll Parts by Hole


Somebody Told Me by The Killers


The Final Grade
My final grade for this book is an A.  This is a cute, funny, smart book that will make you laugh and leave you smiling.  If you’re looking for a fun book, this is the one.





No comments:

Post a Comment