Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise

Book: The Boyfriend App
Author:  Katie Sise
Publisher:  Balzar + Bray
Date:  Available now
Source:  Publisher via Edelweiss
My grade:  A-

In The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise, super-smart, somewhat geeky Audrey McCarthy can’t wait to get out of high school. Her father’s death and the transformation of her one-time BFF, Blake Dawkins, into her worst nightmare have her longing for the new start college will bring.

But college takes money. So Audrey decides she has to win the competition for the best app designed by a high schooler—and the $200,000 that comes with it. She develops something she calls the Boyfriend App, and suddenly she’s the talk of the school and getting kissed by the hottest boys around. But can the Boyfriend App bring Audrey true love?

Initial reaction
Go Geeks!!!

Cover story
Actually, I love this cover.  It is perfect for the story and it is completely related to the plot of the book.  Imagine that.  There’s no kissing either!  I’m not crazy about the color scheme, but I’ll take it!  And the title is ok, too.  It’s not really imaginative, but it works.

What’s the story?
I ended up liking this book more than I thought I would.  No, wait, that’s not exactly right.  I knew it would be cute and fun, and it was.  But it is much more of a coming-of-age story than total brain candy.  It’s still on the sweet side, but with a little more substance than I first thought.

First, there is Audrey.  She and her friends are total computer geeks, complete with the tech talk.  I’m glad that I’m married to a computer geek because I actually knew what Linux is!!!  The tech talk could get a little complicated, so keep Google and Wikipedia close by. J

Next, there are Audrey’s friends.  Aiden, Mindy and Nigit are her geeky school friends and they were wonderful.  Lindsey, her cousin, is the total opposite of Audrey and her friends, but I just loved Lindsey!  She writes a fashion blog and was totally plastic, but with a heart of gold.

I think that what makes this book so good is this exquisite cast of characters.  They are sort of larger than life and very complex.  Katie manages to write them in a way that moves them beyond the cardboard cut-out cliques they represent.  Even the mean girl has a back story.  I think that because these characters are so grounded and feel so real, the over-the-top nature of the plot can still work.  Because believe me when I tell you, things get a little insane in the middle part of the book!

There were times when Audrey seemed so dense that I just wanted to smack her!  Girlfriend had a lot of growing up to do.  And she did it in this book.  I love it when I can close the book and see that the character has progressed as a human being and I feel good about where everything stands.  I reached the end of this book with a giant smile on my face, and that pretty much sums it up, right?

This is a fun book with great characters and the theme is very current and relatable for teens (and for everyone, really.  There are 30 somethings that would love an app that would find their perfect match!)  There are times when the plot gets a little out of control, but honestly?  I didn’t even care.  I was so invested in the characters by the time that happened that I just kept right on reading.

The Soundtrack

The Middle by Jimmy Eat World


Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus


At My Most Beautiful by REM


Only One by Yellowcard


Buddy Holly by Weezer


She Blinded Me with Science by Thomas Dolby


The Final Grade

My grade for this one was an A-.  The minus is because of the way the story got so convoluted, but regardless of the unbelievability of it, I loved the story all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment