Saturday, March 30, 2013

Wicked Kiss by Michelle Rowen

Book:  Wicked Kiss
Author:  Michelle Rowen
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen
Date:  Now available
Source:  Publisher via netgalley
My grade:  A-

My kiss can kill.

I used to be ordinary Samantha Day, but that's changed. Now, after one dark kiss from a dangerous boy, I can steal someone's soul…or their life. If I give in to the constant hunger inside me, I hurt anyone I kiss. If I don't…I hurt myself.

Bishop is the one whose kiss I crave most, but if I kiss him, I'll kill him. Then there's another boy, one I can't hurt. One whose kiss seems to miraculously quell my hunger. They're both part of a team of angels and demons that's joined forces in my city to fight a mysterious rising darkness, an evil that threatens everyone I know and love. I just wonder if I'll be able to help Bishop—or if I'm just another part of the darkness he's sworn to destroy….

NIGHTWATCHERS: When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising…

Initial impression
Oh thank goodness she left some space for a sequel if she wants to write one.  Please write one!

Cover story
Bleck!!  What the heck is that scarf thing that’s flying out of her neck?  And the title?  Feels like it should have a half-naked man on the cover who looks like Fabio.  Sorry, Harlequin Teen…..you totally missed the mark on this one.

What’s the Story?
So this book picks up where Dark Kiss left off.  I really, really loved the first book in this series, so I was excited and nervous to read this one.  While I enjoyed this story and the ending felt just right, I have to say that I don’t think this one was quite as exciting as the first one.  Now, I still enjoyed it a LOT, but that’s where the minus came from.  I could actually put this book down if I had to.

I’m finding it a little hard to review this book.  Basically, it just continues the story and it does a good job of bringing the story to a satisfactory ending.  It’s weird to think that there are only two books, since most series now are trilogies.  However, Michelle Rowen did leave wiggle room for herself at the end to be able to continue with Bishop and Samantha’s story, so I’m hoping that she’ll choose to do that.

One of the things that I really liked in this novel was getting the flashbacks into the brothers’ human lives.  That was one of the best parts of the book.  I always love getting the back story and this one did not disappoint.

Basically, if you enjoyed the first book, then you really need to read this one.  If you haven’t read the first book, what are you waiting for?  This was a really good read and it picked me up from a reading slump that I was in.  I mean, it has a supernatural storyline, a few hot angels and demons, some mysterious historical plot and a town on the brink of disaster.  What more do you need?

The Soundtrack

Bloodstream by Stateless


Arise by Flyleaf


Flying High by Jem


Beautiful Girl by Broken Iris


Seven Devils by Florence + The Machine


Cosmic Love by Florence + The Machine


The final grade
This was a satisfying ending to an entertaining pair of books.  I just hope that she really, really considers writing more in this series.  I don’t think I’m ready to let go of Bishop yet!



No comments:

Post a Comment