Friday, October 19, 2012

Losing It by Cora Carmack



Book:  Losing It
Author:  Cora Carmack
Publisher:  Self-published
Date:  October 16, 2012
Source:  purchased
My grade:  A-

Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.
(cover and description from www.goodreads.com)

Initial reaction
This is exactly the type of book I needed to read right now.  Heavy on the romance and cute factor.

Title and Cover
Ok, I hate both of them.  In fact, if I hadn’t seen such a blitz of reviews come from bloggers everywhere, I never would have picked up this book.  The title is total cheese and the cover is cringe-worthy.  I really don’t want to read a book in public with a girl looking like she is in the middle of an orgasm on the cover.  I was really glad this was on my Nook.

What’s the Story
This is the first book I have read in New Adult genre.  Be aware that there is a lot of talk about sex and partying in this book.  However, I don’t think that it’s a bad choice for more mature teens.

Having gotten that out of the way, let’s talk about the book.  I will admit that I tend to steer clear of self-pubs.  I know that sounds snobby, but I’ve seen too many that were so poorly edited and I just can’t stand to read a book when I’m distracted by improper placement of apostrophes and the misuse of their and they’re, etc.  So let me set your mind at ease when I tell you that this is NOT one of those books.  In fact, there was only one mistake that bothered me; the author used “once and a while” several times and I believe it is “once in a while” that is correct.  But it only happened twice, so I can overlook it.

This was not a very serious, angst-ridden story.  It was a cute read about a girl about to graduate from college and she feels it’s time to give up the V-card.  So she picks up a hot BRITISH guy one night, takes him back home and proceeds to have a panic attack right before they get busy.  Then, she arrives in class the next morning only to discover that said British hottie is actually her new professor.  Bom,bom,bom!!!

This is a great set-up for some good sexual tension and some laugh out loud embarrassing moments, all leading up to a happily ever after, of course.  Poor Bliss is just a mess of nerves and embarrassment most of the time and this makes for a very entertaining, if sometimes cringe-inducing, read.  I felt so embarrassed for her at times!  But she’s a good girl, if a little self-involved at times.  She is well-meaning and just a tad naïve, but I liked her as a character.

Now, Garrick?  What a hot mess he is!  He’s cute, he has an accent and he’s just so darn nice!  And the fact that he is Bliss’ professor really did not squick me out like I thought it might.  For one thing, he is not that much older than she is and for another thing, it’s college.  It’s not like some pervy old guy taking advantage of a 16 year old girl.  Also, I think it makes a difference that they met before they knew he was her professor.  But anywho, Garrick is a great guy.  I can see why she would fall for him.  I think I fell for him too.

There was just enough angst to make a good story line without getting me all upset and worried.  This book was just what I needed to read, because I had started about 4 different books before I read this one.  If you are in a book slump, try picking this book up.  It’s a short read at 143 pages and it was a super fast read.  The story progressed at a quick pace, but never skipped important details and I closed the book with a satisfied smile on my face.

The Soundtrack

This book is really pretty funny and poor Bliss with her failed attempt to lose the V-card is just sad…..so I made her a sexin’ up playlist instead of a soundtrack!

Let’s Get It On by Marvin Gaye


Gettin’ You Home by Chris Young


Grind With Me by Pretty Ricky


Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon


Strip by Chris Brown


Secret by Maroon 5


Turn Me On by Norah Jones


Rude Boy by Rihanna


The Final Grade
My final grade for this book was an A-.  This was a fun, fast read that made me laugh out loud at moments and had a great set-up for an interesting story.  This book was a great mix of heartfelt emotions, college parties, bff’s, hot boys and sexy times.  It wasn’t all fluff, but it was pretty sweet.  It was a lot like a snickers bar; junk food that doesn't pack much nutrition, but it's chocolate-y and totally satisfying!


No comments:

Post a Comment