Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday





Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is:


Top Ten Favorite Characters of All Time

1. Lizzie Bennett from Pride and Prejudice

This is one of my all-time favorite books and Lizzie is the very best character in it. I love her wicked sense of humor and her snark. She is also not willing to just sit back and let society make of her what it will. Even though women were not considered equal to men in this society, Lizzie stands up for herself and demands that she be treated well. I LOVE that about her.

2. Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series

What makes Hermione such a great character is that she is a smart girl. Harry might be the hero, but he wouldn’t have gotten very far without Hermione. She saved his butt so many times and she is so ridiculed for her intelligence, but Hermione would NEVER be one of those girls who pretend to be dumb because she thinks it is more feminine. Bravo for her!

3. Albus Dumbledore from the Harry Potter series

I love Dumbledore’s little nuggets of wisdom throughout the whole series. I wish someone would make a set of posters with them. Yet, even though he is so wise, he’s not too terribly serious and that seems to be the wisest thing of all about him.

4. Edward Cullen from Twilight

Edward Cullen is the quintessential tormented anti-hero. What makes him so perfect is that he is not. But he is perfect for Bella, in spite of what he thinks. He is such a tragic figure.

5. The Vampire Lestat from The Vampire Chronicles

Lestat is very similar to Edward Cullen, but he is much more fascinating as a character. He has so many facets to his personality. In “Interview”, he is made out to be the bad guy, but once you keep reading, you discover that Lestat is just as tortured and tragic as the other vampires. What I like about Lestat though, is that he never mopes about his tortured existence. Instead, he embraces vampirism with a sort of cockiness that is very attractive.

6. Morgan LeFay from The Mists of Avalon

I loved this incarnation of the King Arthur tale and Morgan Lefay becomes the good guy in this retelling. I love her independence and her flaws. I love the way she stands up to the men in the story and doesn’t want to let herself become a pawn, even though she still becomes one since that is her fate in the story. She is one of my all-time favorite characters.

7. Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games

I like Peeta a lot because I feel like Peeta is an honest, gentle soul. Katniss is a little too harsh for my taste. I mean, I understand that life in District 12 has made her that way, but it takes a lot to reach her heart. Peeta, on the other hand, has had an easier life than hers, but not really luxurious by any standard, yet he is not as jaded. He still believes in the goodness of others and he is willing to share his feelings. He just makes me melt.

8. Jace Wayland from the Mortal Instruments series

Jace is such a complex character. He hides behind a mask of bravado, but underneath, he is just a hurt little boy looking for a family. He is fun to read about because he is a little unpredictable. For example, the decision that he made at the end of City of Lost Souls was total shock to me! I want to get into his head and see how it works.

9. Arnold Spirit Jr. from The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

I love this kid for his wicked sense of humor! He takes a horribly tragic life and turns it into something funny. That makes me feel like he will be able to conquer the world even though he has so many strikes against him.

10. Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarty from On the Road

I read this book in 11th grade and it changed my life. I loved the 2 main characters and their love for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment