Saturday, March 31, 2012

Spellcaster (Spellbound #2) by Cara Lynn Shultz


Book:  Spellcaster
Author:  Cara Lynn Shultz
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen
Date:  March 27, 2012
Source:  publisher via Netgalley
My grade:  B+

Finding your eternal soulmate - easy.

Stopping a true-love-hungry evil - not so much…

After breaking a centuries-old romantic curse, Emma Connor is (almost) glad to get back to normal problems. Although...it's not easy dealing with the jealous cliques and gossip that rule her exclusive Upper East Side prep, even for a sixteen-year-old newbie witch. Having the most-wanted boy in school as her eternal soul mate sure helps ease the pain-especially since wealthy, rocker-hot Brendan Salinger is very good at staying irresistibly close....

But something dark and hungry is using Emma and Brendan's deepest fears to reveal damaging secrets and destroy their trust in each other. And Emma's crash course in über-spells may not be enough to keep them safe…or to stop an inhuman force bent on making their unsuspected power its own.

My Review

I ended up really liking this book.  However, for some reason, I found it harder to read at the beginning than Spellbound.  I flew through that first book like my life depended on it.  This one, I could put down and play on Facebook or check my e-mail.  Up to a certain point, at least.

Once it hit its stride, though, this novel was fantastic.  I loved seeing Emma learning to use her magic.  Also, there was a good dose of mystery in this one, although there were some plot points that were so obvious I was yelling at the characters because they didn’t see them.  All in all though, once the book picked up, it was a non-stop run to the end with lots of action, twists and turns.  Oh, and evil.  Don’t forget there was a lot of evil sorcery as well.  With Brendan, Emma and Angelique fighting against it, of course.

I still like the characters a lot in this book.  The students at Vince A are very much like typical high school students, just wealthier!  I really liked Brendan in this novel.  He was so sweet and too bad he’s fictional!  I liked Angelique also and Emma’s cousin, Ashley.  I did not really like Angelique’s cousin Randi, however. She totally violated the girlfriend rule by openly lusting after Brendan.  That is so not cool, chica!

I am also digging the cover on this book.  Not sure why, but the black background with the archways and the girl running is a little different from the "girl in a fancy dress" covers that seem to be running rampant.  

I’m guessing that the series ends now, which is unusual.  It wrapped up rather nicely, but she has left it open enough that another book could be written.  Right now, there is no sequel listed on GoodReads, so perhaps this is a two-book series.  I would not be opposed to reading another book in the series, but it’s not necessary.  At a certain point in time, I think she just needs to let Emma and Brendan be happily ever after soul mates, right?

My grade for this book is a B+.  It’s slow to start, but if you liked the first book, you will probably be satisfied with this one also.  Just stick with it until it picks up and you’ll enjoy the ride!

Thank you to Harlequin Teen and Netgalley for allowing me to read and review this book.  I received no compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment