Sunday, March 18, 2012

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Book:  Goddess Interrupted
Author:  Aimee Carter
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen
Date:  March 27, 2012
Source:  publisher via Netgalley
My grade:  A freaking +!!

Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.Henry's first wife, Persephone.

My Review

Holy cliffhanger from hell, Batman! (yeah, I went there!)  Aimee Carter, are you trying to kill me with that?

I just, and I do mean just, finished Goddess Interrupted, the fantabulous sequel to The Goddess Test.  And what did she do?

First, Aimee Carter takes us on this incredible, nail-biting on the edge of your seat journey around the Underworld.  Then, just when things start to settle a bit, even though nothing is really concluded, she throws this giant I-maybe-should-have-seen-it-coming-and-it-made-perfect-sense-once-it-was-revealed wrench right into the ending.  The ending, I tell you!  And now, I have to wait who knows how long because I haven’t bothered to look in order to see what will happen next.

Whew!

And that, my friends, is this entire book in a nutshell!  At first, I was a little upset about the goings-on in the novel.  I was mad at Henry for the way he was acting and I wanted to kick Kate in the butt and tell her to do something.  That lasted for maybe 2 chapters and then this book was unputdownable.  And as you can see, it has inspired me to totally butcher the English language in order to describe it to you. 

There are so many things I love about this series.  First of all, I love the way that Aimee Carter has captured the essence of each of these Greek gods while still maintaining their modernity.  I used to spend HOURS reading these myths in my little illustrated D’aulaire’s Greek Mythology book and it’s nice to see the spirit of those original myths being honored.  I love the way the characters all have flaws but you can still learn to love them.  Based on my knowledge of Greek mythology and my knowledge of human nature, these characters are totally believable.

Also, if you start to get confused with all the modern-day name changes of the gods, there’s a nifty chart in the back of the book that tells you which god is which.  I wish I had known that about halfway through the book……..

There's only one thing about this book that I don't like.  That is the cover.  Yuck!  For some reason, this cover does nothing for me.  It looks like one of my students made this for a project in Publisher or something.  Really, Harlequin Teen?  You couldn't do any better than that?  Of course, I hated the Iron Fey covers too.  Someone at Harlequin Teen should really talk to that cover design team, just sayin'........

You are in for quite a ride when you pick this book up.  There’s a major crisis in the Greek immortal world and it is non-stop action until the end.  Then, the almost-end with Henry and Kate is just wonderful!!!  And then the betrayal that I never saw coming……….

………and I’ll stop there!  I want to talk about this so much, but I will never spoil this for you, my lovely readers.  If you haven’t read The Goddess Test, do that now.  Then, on March 27, wait at your local bookstore for them to put this book on the shelf.  Then come back here and talk to me about it.

My grade for this book is obviously an A+.  I’m just not sure how in Hades I will ever make it until the next book comes out.

1 comment: