Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday





Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is a blog choice, which means I get to make any top ten list I wish! So here goes.....

You know those books that you look at the cover and think "Ugh!" and so you put off reading them and then when you do read them, you get so mad at yourself for judging a book by it's cover? Well, that's my list this week. So here they are:

Top Ten Worst Covers on the Good Books

Playing with Matches by Brian Katcher

I looked at this cover and dreaded reading this book and then I did read it and it totally bowled me over.



 



The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Again, I had heard of this book and taken one look at the cover and thought......Ugh!  But I am so glad I finally picked this one up and read it.  The cover gives you no idea at the brilliance that is inside this book.





 
Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

The actual cover for this first novel is not that bad, but the next 2 are terrible.  What is terrible about this cover is the tagline......."She can control her pack but not her heart."  What???!!!!  Where's the picture of a wine bottle to go along with that cheese?


 

 
Ditched:  A Love Story  by Robin Mellom

Ok, I know they wanted to capture poor Justina on the morning after, but this cover just doesn't do anything at all for me.  Sorry.  How about a picture of those ugly blue satin shoes in some dirt or something?






 
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

This cover looks like it was designed by the Billy Ray Cyrus fan club.  The hair on this chick looks sooooooo much like a mullet, I just can't look at it.







Delirium by Lauren Oliver

This cover is just boring to me.  I don't think it captures the goodness that is inside this book.






 
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. 
     
    This cover was also very off-putting to me with this book.  I waited a long time to read it because the cover was just unappealing to me.

     
     
     
     
     
    Peeps by Scott Westerfeld
     
    I have to say that at least the publishers realize what a horrid cover they have for this book and they are working on it.  But all the subsequent covers are pretty ugly too.  Of course, I'm not really sure what kind of cover they should put on it, so........

     
     
     
     
     
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

    I loved the cover of Twilight.  I think it was a fabulous to way to capture both the vampire mood with the black and red and the idea of temptation with the apple.  The rest of the covers are terrible and this is one of the worst.  I mean, what does a tulip have to do with anything going on in the book???

     
     
     
     
     Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
     
    This cover is atrocious and this is the second cover.  The first one is even uglier.  And this book is amazing.  






    So, there they are.  Ten of the ugliest covers I've seen on good books.  Now, I've seen some ugly covers on bad books, but those are cases where I'm glad I judged the book by the cover.  These books?  Not so much!  

    I"d love to hear from some of you about bad book covers!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment