Saturday, January 7, 2012

My lists for 2011 part deux......and of course, late.

I had a French professor in college who used to say "Time is an invention of man, not of God, mademoiselle."  Obviously, I took that saying to heart and made it my life motto! : )

I know it's late, but here's my second list of books I loved from 2011:


Books That I Can’t Believe I Waited Until 2011 to Read! (Yes, there are only 9, not 10.  Sue me!)


1.  Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

This book suffers from an appallingly cheesy tag line on the cover.  I'll admit, it made me hesitate.  I will not hesitate again.  But whoever put that line on the cover of this book should be fired, just saying.....

I loved this book so much and I can't wait to jump into the next 2 books.  I may be the only person in America who is Team Ren, but I wear it proudly!



 2.  American Born Chinese by Gene Luan Yang

This little jewel wasn't even on my radar until I saw it on the required list of the other section of YA lit in my grad program this summer.  I knew that Dr. Becnel had chosen some great books, so I decided to give it a looksee.  Wow!!  This is a brilliantly written graphic novel.





3.  Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

You will probably notice a lot of overlap in this list with the list I made earlier of books that made me love contemporary realistic.  Why on earth did I wait this long to read a Laurie Halse Anderson book?  It's really inexcusable.  This book was powerful!



4.  Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Just see the above commentary and substitute Sarah Dessen's name.

Seriously, I want to read at least one or two more of her books this year.  This is especially shameful for me since she is from my home state!







5.  The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa

Ok, this series had been on my radar, but it was just one of those things I kept pushing to the side for other things.  Totally dumb.

I hate these covers though.  The first one makes the girl look like she has a mullet.  For reals.



6.  The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

I remember reading a recommendation of this book from Stephenie Meyer.  I remember looking at the cover and thinking "Ugh!"  Yes, I know the old adage, and everyone still judges the book by the cover!  Thank you again, Dr. Becnel, for putting this one on your list of required reading for your YA lit class.  I then read it for mine and proceeded to recommend it to anyone who would bother listening.



7.  Unwind by Neal Shusterman

I remember seeing this book and thinking that I would read it when I could.  Luckily for me, it is a challenged book.  I had to read 2 challenged books for my YA lit class and this was one that wasn't a million years old or a guide to sex for gay men.  I knew that I was interested, so I read it.

This is another book that I have recommended to random people on the street.


8.  Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

This is probably the most shameful one.  I mean, I am a FRENCH TEACHER!!!  I should have been waiting at the book store on the day this one was released.  Quel dommage!







9.  Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

I really thought this book was a sappy, Twilight follow up.  You know how there were a million vampire books after Twilight?

Oh Beth Fantaskey!  How I underrated you!  This book began in a wonderfully tongue-in-cheek manner and then, BAM!  I found myself engrossed in it and actually liking Lucius!  And I love books that can make fun of themselves.


So here you have it:  my list of shame!  The books that I should never have put off reading!  If you haven't read some of these books, dear Lord!  What are you waiting for???

    No comments:

    Post a Comment