Thursday, October 20, 2011

Eve by Anna Carey


Book:  Eve (Eve #1)
Author:  Anna Carey
Publisher:  Harper Teen
Date:  October 4. 2011
Source:  Harper Teen and netgalley.com
My grade:  A

The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

My Review

Do you hear that crashing sound?  It’s the sound of my heart breaking at the end of this book.

I thought that “Eve” was a fantastic book.  It started out with a heart wrenching letter from Eve’s mother that she wrote while she was dying from the plague.  That immediately pulled me in and I never got pulled back out of this world.  I read this book in a day while ignoring my children, the laundry and my husband. : )

One of the things that I liked about this book is that the characters seemed so real to me.  Poor Eve is so naïve and sheltered and I think that leads her to make a lot of poor decisions in the book.  I’ve read other reviews where people didn’t like this bad decision-making, but the truth is that she has never had to make decisions, so she doesn’t really know how to do it.

I loved Caleb and all the other boys at the dugout.  The publicity for the book says it’s a cross between The Hunger Games and Romeo and Juliet, but honestly?  It made me think more of Wendy and the Lost Boys with Eve acting as the sort of mother figure to these poor orphaned boys.

The plot was very fast-paced and never really had a lot of down moments.  Of course, the characters, and the reader, were always on edge because they were being hunted, so there was a sense of urgency and foreboding throughout the book.  The ending was a real humdinger that I was totally unprepared for.  I immediately logged in to my goodreads account to make sure that this was a series and not a stand-alone.  I was extremely relieved to see that there is another one.  I may have breathed a huge sigh of relief.

My grade for this book is an A.  I loved it and thought that it was action-packed from beginning to end.  I think that fans of The Hunger Games will love this one.

1 comment:

  1. The characters were one of the strongest aspects of Eve. Eve herself wasn't always a very likable character. But this made sense considering the absurd ideas that she was basically brainwashed to believe since she was five years old. I thought that in many ways, Eve reminded me of a typical teenager, often making stupidly impulsive decisions that she later regretted.

    ReplyDelete