Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reflecting

So, I have finished reading all of the books that I need to read for my YA lit class.  (I'm still not finished with all the assignments, but it's a start, right?)  I thought I would just reflect a little on the past 6-7 weeks about what I have learned as far as reading.

First of all, I have to say that there were some books that I was not looking forward to reading, so I'm really glad that I was assigned to read them because I discovered some real jewels this summer.  Born to Run, Playing with Matches and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian were 3 of the top ones.  I also discovered that I really like contemporary realistic fiction. (Dr. Truett, I hope that doesn't give you cardiac arrest!)  I plan to definitely add more of it to my reading lists in the future.  Now, I still love some supernatural fiction, but I can branch out a little as well!

I feel like I also learned a lot about using YA lit in a classroom.  I had given it a little thought before this class, but it's nice to think about all the stuff out there to help young adults cope with issues and also the amount of YA lit that fits nicely next to the traditional canon of literature.  As a librarian, I hope to be able to encourage teachers to use more of it. 

Anyways, I am pleased with the books that I read this summer (with the exceptions of Girl and The Space Between Trees).  I don't think I"ll be able to keep up this pace with reading once school starts back, but I will still be reading and reviewing.  So now we return to our regular programming.  I hope you've all enjoyed this journey with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment