Sunday, August 15, 2010

Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Wow! My mind is still reeling from reading this book. It's a little hard to wrap my head around everything that took place. In fact, it's amazing that Ms. Werlin was able to cram so much.....stuff......into a book this size!

I have to admit, that I was skeptical about this book and not certain that I would even want to finish it. The main character gets raped near the beginning of the book. It's not a graphic description or anything, but it made me uncomfortable. I still think it's a point of contention for me but I can also see why the author would have made that choice now that I'm at the end. So be forewarned! If you are easily upset by even mild descriptions of rape, you need to avoid this book.

I have been trying to read a bit here and there for the last few days, but tonight I was finally able to just sit down and focus on reading. And it's a good thing! The book really picked up steam and it's now 2 a.m. because I simply could not put it down!

This book is like a good mystery with a supernatural twist. And a dash of romance. There are clues to be followed and the way the author weaves together an old folk song with modern technology tools is just amazing. I don't want to give too much away, but I really enjoyed trying to figure out how to solve the puzzle with the characters. I loved Lucy, the female protagonist. She is very strong and confident, but always knows when to rely on others. And I absolutely fell in love with Zach Greenfield. He really is like a modern-day knight in shining armor.

My final thoughts? If you love mysteries and you love ancient folklore with a healthy dose of the supernatural, you will love this book.

In fact, it might be impossible for you to not love it. : )

My grade: A-
(the minus for me is because of the rape in the plot)

No comments:

Post a Comment