Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

It is 4:16 a.m. and I just finished this book.  I really, really liked this book.  There's a lot of substance to the story.  The characters were wonderful and I found that I really started to care a lot for them and really feel for their whole situation.  Having said that, I really did NOT like Mary, the main character.  I felt that she was selfish and brought about a lot of unnecessary hardships for the rest of the characters in the book.

Which brings me to the point that I"m at right now.  I may have to write again about this book because there is a lot to "digest" in this story.  So many things to think about.  I find myself pondering the meaning of dreams and life and love and contentment.  What makes us happy?  What should we pursue in life?  Do we pursue our own dreams to the detriment of others?  Is it better to go after the big dreams or to be content with life's small happinesses?  What role should religion play in our lives?  Should we question it or should we simply accept it because that is easier?

I don't know the answers to any of those questions, but I like it that this book could make me think about those things.  Even though this is set in a dystopian world, it felt real.  I could empathize with the characters and feel what they were feeling:  their fear, their happiness, their discontent, their despair.

I have read reviews where people said that they didn't like this book.  It is definitely not a book that leaves you with a warm, fuzzy feeling at the end.  I"m not all gaga over a Bella/Edward type romance here.  It's gritty and philosophical and in many ways, in your face.  But I like that.  I like thinking at the end and not really knowing how I felt about the main character or what happened.  I don't know if she made any of the right choices.

So I can't wait to get my hands on the next book, The Dead Tossed Waves.  Maybe all my questions will be answered there, but I highly doubt that will be the case.

And that is a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment